Re: help!!!

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: help!!!
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:05:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

> I'm using RedHat Linux 7.0, with GCC 3.0 and the 2.4.6 kernel. I didn't
> encounter any problems when I configured octave-2.0.16. However, the problem
> arose when I was trying to build it. I'm trying to fix the error by resolving
> namespaces (from string to
 std::string) and library calls (from <complex> to <complex.h>) but it still
wouldn't build? How do I do this in a much simpler way? Or do I need to
downgrade my compiler?

[ please wrap your lines to <= 74 characters or so, or use an editor that
  does it automatically ]

Octave 2.0.16 was written well before the C++ standard, and won't build
with the standard conforming compiler. You have one of two choices:

1. Use 'kgcc', which is an older version of gcc (egcs-1.1.2?) that is also
distributed as part of RedHat 7.x, mostly so that you can build the
kernel. Or, install your own version of gcc-2.95.x in /usr/local and use
that to build Octave.

2. Use CVS version of Octave, which works just fine with gcc-3.0. See
Octave home page for details on how to get the CVS version.

Regards,
Mumit