Re: excel output

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: excel output
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:20:05 -0500

> Is there a nice way to produce excel readable spreadsheets with octave?

i)  If you are referring to the .xls format, you undoubtedly know that it is
   proprietary and as such, there are only a few pieces of Open / Free
   Software that have reengineered this format.

   One such piece is the Perl module Spreadsheet::WriteExcel. In the Unix
   spirit of combining several tools, I'd write Perl "filter" to postprocess the
   output from Octave.  Another choice is gnumeric but then you need a
   whole lot of Gnome libraries which might make this more hairy to install.

   Spreadsheet::WriteExcel is part of Debian, by the way (I maintain it).

ii) If you are referring to simply having Excel read some output of yours,
    arrange it in .csv or .txt format. As Paul said, asave (from octave-ci, also
    in Debian) can do that as can his dlmwrite.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.