Re: progress meter for long operations

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: progress meter for long operations
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:50:25 -0500

On 25-Jun-2001, Jonathan C. Webster <address@hidden> wrote:

| > does anyone have a good method for announcing progress on long operations? i
| > tried putting a printf in a for loop, but it didn't print a thing out until
| > it was done,
|
| Use unbuffered writes to a log file and  then watch that.  (tail -f  stuff.log
| )
| I use code like the following, where FID is the filehandel of your log file.
|
| str1 = sprintf("Blah Blah %d  %f  \n", var1, var2 );
| fputs(FID,str1);

I'm pretty sure fputs is normally buffered, unless you happen to have
set the buffering mode on FID to unbuffered, or that has already been
done for you (stderr, for example).

Probably what you want is fflush, or to check out Octave's built-in
variables page_screen_output and page_output_immediately.

jwe