weird bug(?) on segmentation fault

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: weird bug(?) on segmentation fault
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:53:41 -0500

On 24-May-2001, E. Joshua Rigler <address@hidden> wrote:

| It's nice that Octave is fairly robust, and can attempt to save a
| session even on a segmentation fault, but I'm encountering a strange
| problem.  I haven't attempted to track the cause of the seg fault
| itself, but when it occurs, octave attempts to save the session to
| "octave-core".  It does this, then doesn't exit.  This is bad, because
| then every single attempted command after that causes another seg fault,
| which then causes Octave to try to save the session...even when the
| command is "exit" or "quit".  This was an issue when I had a session
| running with several hundred MB of data, which takes quite a bit of time
| to save to disk.  Ideally there wouldn't be a seg fault, but why isn't
| Octave exitting after it saves the session?
|
| I'm using 2.1.33.  Has anyone else esperienced something similar?

When Octave encounters SIGSEGV, it calls the function
my_friendly_exit, which is defined in src/sighandlers.cc.  This
function tries to do a lot of stuff, including calling other
functions, which may not do the right thing if Octave is in a really
bad state.  But it tries to be smart about not looping, so that if a
series of segfaults occur, it should just abort.

In any case, can you please submit a complete bug report about this,
or at least tell us exactly what sequence of error messages you see?

It would also be good to submit a complete report about the crash you
are encountering, so that the real cause of that problem might also be
fixed.

Thanks,

jwe