configure tests

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: configure tests
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 17:18:55 +0200

Hi,
I try to compile octave as a 64bit executable on IRIX64.

1) CC: I am still stuck with the MIPS compiler but I work on it.

2) g++: I tried to add   the mips host in ./configure.in

case "$canonical_host_type" in
  mips-sgi-irix*)
    OCTAVE_CC_FLAG(-mabi=64, [
     XTRA_CFLAGS="$XTRA_CFLAGS -mabi=64"])

    OCTAVE_CXX_FLAG(-mabi=64, [
     XTRA_CXXFLAGS="$XTRA_CXXFLAGS -mabi=64"])
  ;;

But when octave configures it tests if gcc /g++ can
compile with "-mabi=64" and it says "no".
I do not understand the tests, because running small
problems by hand it CAN compile with "-mabi=64".
And the even more magic thing is that the various
attempts I made there was one where configure said "yes"
but I cannot reproduce ist. :-(

So can anybody help me and tell me how I can add these
flags or change the tests so it gives reasonable results
or just explain the tests.

I am sure there are still plenty of problems afterwards.....

thanks
-dh