Re: Status of MacOS X Porting?

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Status of MacOS X Porting?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:17:37 +0200

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Matt Pfenninger wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has addressed the MacOS X linking problem described
> in http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/help-octave/2001/384.  I've
> duplicated the problem, but don't really have any ideas for a solution.
> Anyone else had any luck?

Hi, here's some more input for you:

As far as I know, this is a known issue with Apples currently shipping linker. I got the following response from an Apple employee:

> Turly at apple dot com wrote:
> To avoid duplicated code, OS X gcc "coalesces" certain functions, chief
> among them template funcs.  The idea is to allow multiple copies of
> these functions which the linker then "coalesces" into one.
> Unfortunately, there's a bug in the shipping compiler which breaks in
> the case of '-fno-implicit-templates'.  So you might want to try
> compiling without that switch.
>
> Alternatively (and additionally, if you want :-), you might want to try
> compiling with "-fno-coalesce".
>
> We are working to fix this bug but obviously I can't say when a new
> version of the compiler will be released (don't hold your breath.)

Hopefully this will be solved in a future release of the tools. Apple and the Darwin (Open source foundation of OSX) community
are working to get gcc 3.x  going.

The bug is filed as #2280846 at http://www.opensource.apple.com/bugs/ , have a look.

OpenOffice (http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/) has the same issues and have some
info on how to work around it.

Don't let this put you off, it may be easier than it sounds to get it to work...;-)

/Per