Re: Some questions

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Some questions
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:53:21 -0500

At 10:19 AM -0500 4/25/01, Howard Chandler wrote:
--
Greetings Octavians

Has anyone built Octave on MAC OSX (version 10.0.1) yet?

There's been some work on it, but no success reported yet.  Things that
are (sort of) in place: X-windows support, either through Tenon's X-tools
or by installing XFree86, possibly with some wrappers for an Aqua interface
such as Xvnc.  I compiled gnuplot out-of-the-box under Xtools, so that's there.

What's missing right now is the ability to install all of the gcc-2.95.3
release (the g77 compiler is not included in Apple's development tools);
the comp.os.mac.scitech group has has some discussion on
that.  I expect that the gcc-2.95.3 compiler will be ready for OS X within
a "short" period of time (a few months or less).  For right now, I'm still
running Linux on my Powerbook until it's clear that OS X is ready for
"production" work, and I think that's still an open question.

I haven't tried using f2c in place of g77 on OS X; that may be an interim
option.