Re: linspace

From: Paul Fine
Subject: Re: linspace
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:42:13 -0400

No problem for me, either (Octave 2.1.31 on Windows 98)

>> version
ans = 2.1.31
>> x =linspace(0,10,10)'
x =

 1.0e+01  *

 0.00000
 0.11111
 0.22222
 0.33333
 0.44444
 0.55556
 0.66667
 0.77778
 0.88889
 1.00000

Shengchao Li wrote:

Well, in my computer (Octave2.0.16 on Redhat 7.0) there is no such
problem.

octave:2> linspace(0,10,10)'
ans =

   0.00000
   1.11111
   2.22222
   3.33333
   4.44444
   5.55556
   6.66667
   7.77778
   8.88889
  10.00000

shengchao

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Yvan Lengwiler wrote:

I am a complete novice to Octave. I have used Gauss before, however. Going through the help files of the Octave website, one of the first functions I came across was linspace. Now, I am somewhat confused by the behavior of this function.

linspace(0,10,11)' produces, as expected,

0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

but linspace(0,10,10)' produces

0.00000
0.11111
0.22222
0.33333
0.44444
0.55556
0.66667
0.77778
0.88889
1.00000

I would have expected

0.00000
1.11111
2.22222
3.33333
4.44444
5.55556
6.66667
7.77778
8.88889
10.00000

Is this a bug?

Yvan

PS: I use the binaries of Octave version 2.1.31 on a WinNT computer.

Paul Fine
Delphi Communication Systems, Inc.