reading delimited files

From: John Day
Subject: reading delimited files
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:30:04 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying read delimited files in Octave and looking for something like MATLAB's dlmread(), which is slow but versatile.

On a two-column pipe-delimited file I tried

   mat = fscanf(fid, "%f|%f\n", [Inf,2])

hoping to get a 2-column file. Instead I got all the data in one-column, interleaved so that reshape() can't fix it. (A bug?)

I am using ver 2.1.25. Any suggestions how to read delimited files of various sizes with various delimiters?

Thanks,
John Day