How to type texinfo doc-strings? [was: tex documentation]

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: How to type texinfo doc-strings? [was: tex documentation]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:49:26 -0600

On 17-Feb-2001, Christoph Spiel <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:51:20AM -0600, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > The source for the manual is in the doc/interpreter directory in the
| > source distribution (mostly in .txi files).  It is written using
| > Texinfo, not LaTeX.  The function descriptions in the manual are now
| > actually part of the source code.  For example, in
| > src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/svd.cc, you will find:
| >
| >   DEFUN_DLD (svd, args, nargout,
| >     "-*- texinfo -*-\n\
| >   @deftypefn {Loadable Function} address@hidden =} svd (@var{a})\n\
| >   @deftypefnx {Loadable Function} address@hidden, @var{s}, @var{v}] =} svd
(@var{a})\n\
| >   @cindex singular value decomposition\n\
| >   Compute the singular value decomposition of @var{a}\n\
| >   @iftex\n\
| >   @tex\n\
| >   $$\n\
| >    A = U\\Sigma V^H\n\
| >   $$\n\
|
| As we are at it ...  How do the gurus type in the doc-string?

I do it the hard way (fixing up the escape characters manually), but I
agree that it would be nice to have something automatic.  For me, a
minor mode for Emacs would probably be sufficient.  We'd need one for
C++ source and one for M-files (although the latter should be really
easy, since it is just a matter of fixing up the fill prefix, I
think). Any volunteers to write these?.

Thanks,

jwe