Re: Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: Clarity on GPL and Octave licensing
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:47:26 -0500 (EST)

> | My problem is likely to stem from the fact that I do government
> | sponsored research, and can't always provide my routines to the public,
> | as much as I would like to!

If you cannot distribute your mods, then you have no problem with
respect to the GPL.  When US Gov releases the research/code, it
will be public domain, again, no problem.

I haven't followed this thread closely, but given your last statement,
I fail to see the problem.

One other thing to consider: if octave won't do the job (for whatever
reason), and the funding agency won't spring for a matlab license,
how bad do they really want it done?  Bad enough enough to pay the
factor of 2-5 to do it in fortran?

Dave D