Re: Compiling Octave for MacOS X

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Compiling Octave for MacOS X
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:53:28 -0600

Harald,

You have made a LOT of progress!  When I first read your note, my first
instinct was to look at one of the apple mailing-list forums for some OS X
specific help (I think that's the issue here), but after 20 minutes of
searching I couldn't find anything relevant; Apple's web pages are intended
to sell stuff, not to provide support, it seems.

I agree with JWE that it's most likely a compiler bug  (at least, that's
what your error message seems to say), so you may want to submit some kind
of description to the "black hole" called "Feedback" on Apple's Mac OS X
public beta web page, or you might try posting a question to
comp.os.linux.powerpc or to comp.os.mac.scitech to see what kind of ideas
those groups may have.

Scotte

> on 11/29/00 12:12 AM, Harald Binder at address@hidden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still (see my last message) trying to compile Octave for MacOS X.
> I got pretty far (I think all the librarys compile) up to this point
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> echo making all in liboctave
> making all in liboctave
> cd liboctave ; make all
> c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
> -I../glob -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-implicit-templates -g
> -O2 -Wall Array-C.cc
> Array2-idx.h: In function `int assign<Complex, Complex>(Array2<complex<double>
> > &, const Array2<complex<double> > &)':
> Array-C.cc:47:   instantiated from here
> Array2-idx.h:694: Internal compiler error.
> Array2-idx.h:694: Please submit a full bug report via the
> Array2-idx.h:694: <URL:http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter> web page.
> make[2]: *** [Array-C.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> or sometimes:
> c++ -c  -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -I../glob
> -I../glob -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-implicit-templates -g
> -O2 -Wall Array-C.cc
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L50$pb"} @ file
> address 43720.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L50$pb"} @ file
> address 43716.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L50$pb"} @ file
> address 43712.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L50$pb"} @ file
> address 43676.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L50$pb"} @ file
> address 43664.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L45$pb"} @ file
> address 42536.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L45$pb"} @ file
> address 42532.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L45$pb"} @ file
> address 42468.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L45$pb"} @ file
> address 42464.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L44$pb"} @ file
> address 42268.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L44$pb"} @ file
> address 42264.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L43$pb"} @ file
> address 41960.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L43$pb"} @ file
> address 41956.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L27$pb"} @ file
> address 13264.
> /var/tmp/cc003602.s:unknown:Can't emit reloc {- symbol "L27$pb"} @ file
> address 13260.
> [...]

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elec. Comp. Eng.  Auburn Univ, AL 36849-5201
(334) 844-1854 Fax -1809 http://www.eng.auburn.edu/Šþscotte