Re: octave in bg ????

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: octave in bg ????
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:08:21 +0100

address@hidden schrieb:

> On 13-Nov-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | address@hidden schrieb:

> | > |

> | > Try
> | >
> | >   shell> octave -q  test_run_1.m < /dev/null > test_run_1.out &
> | >
> | > You may also want to tell your shell to send output intended for the
> | > standard error stream to the test_run_1.out file.
> |
> | No didnt work. same problem.
>
> Are you sure?  Even if you use (Bourne shell syntax):
>
>   shell> octave -q  test_run_1.m < /dev/null > test_run_1.out 2>&1 &

bingo. In "sh" it works. in tcsh syntax the shell complains about the
"ambigous redirect".
Without the "2>&1" it does not work in the "sh" either.

> ?
>
> What terminal settings do you have (try running stty -a)?  In
> particular, is tostop set?  What happens if you unset it (stty -tostop)?

tostop is set. in particular:
shell > stty -a
speed 38400 baud; line = 1; 24 rows; 133 columns
intr = ^C; quit = ^ŠÜ; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ^@;
old-swtch = ^Z; susp = ^Z
lnext = ^V; werase = ^W; rprnt = ^R; flush = ^O; stop = ^S; start = ^Q;
dsusp = ^Y
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread clocal -cnew_rtscts -loblk
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon ixany -ixoff -imaxbel
isig icanon iexten -xcase echo echoe echok echoke echoctl -echoprt
-echonl -noflsh -flusho -pendin -tostop
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel tab3

> Are you sure your script produces no output?

the script does not produce ANY output.

thanks so far.

daniel