clobbered

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: clobbered
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:00:14 -0600

On  2-Nov-2000, Andy Jacobson <address@hidden> wrote:

|       When creating oct files, sometimes the compiler spews out a
|       bunch of warnings like:
|
| corto:Šþ/ibex/nlo> mkoctfile -v amebsa.cc
| c++ -c -fPIC -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/octave-2.0.16
-mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall
amebsa.cc -o amebsa.o
| amebsa.cc: In function `class octave_value_list Famebsa(const class
octave_value_list &, int)':
| amebsa.cc:48: warning: variable `int iter' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
| amebsa.cc:51: warning: variable `int targiter' might be clobbered by
`longjmp' or `vfork'
| amebsa.cc:53: warning: variable `int i' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
| amebsa.cc:53: warning: variable `int ihi' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
| amebsa.cc:53: warning: variable `int ilo' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
| amebsa.cc:54: warning: variable `double ylo' might be clobbered by `longjmp'
or `vfork'
| amebsa.cc:54: warning: variable `double ynhi' might be clobbered by `longjmp'
or `vfork'
| amebsa.cc:87: warning: variable `int n' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
| /usr/local/include/octave/Array.h:194: warning: variable `int n' might be
clobbered by `longjmp' or `vfork'
| ...for another 30 lines or so.
|
|        I use the same template .cc file for different codes, but only
|        some of them give this set of warnings.  They do this quite
|        robustly.  Can anyone explain why this is happening, and need I
|        be concerned that my variables ARE being clobbered?
|
|        The .cc file, containing two functions, follows.  Since it is an
|        adaptation of copyrighted material, I have removed the core of
|        the routines, leaving the entrance/exit stuff and variable
|        declarations.

After commenting out the <STUFF DELETED> lines in your example, it
compiled fine on my system (gcc 2.95.2, Debian GNU/Linux).  Can you
please provide a complete example that demonstrates the problem?  The
details that you omitted are probably important...

jwe