Installation of Octave on Win-ME is OK

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Installation of Octave on Win-ME is OK
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:52:30 +0200

> Here's a release of Tom Weichmann's GNU Octave installation (version 2.1.31)
> for Windows that now installs *painlessly* on both Windows 98 and Windows NT
> 4.0.
> ..It's presumed to work for Windows 95 too, though an enterprising volunteer
> will undoubtedly validate this for us.  It'd also be fantastic if someone
> could test this out on Windows 2000 and Windows ME, and let us know what
> happens.  Neither Tom nor I seem to be able to find a machine with these
> OSs.  ..Someone's just offered to test Win2k, now all we need is Win98 ME.

No more worries.
T. Weichmann's Octave 2.1.31 from his site
(http://tech-research.buffalostate.edu/Šþtom/index.html) installed
painlessly on my Windows ME (Dutch language version). Only thing is that
the installer assumed the program icon in an invalid location (not under
ŠÜProgam FilesŠÜOctaveŠÜbinŠÜ but somewhere in the root of C:). That may be
the error another mailing-list contributor saw flashing by.

BTW Octave 2.1.31 installed just fine besides Octave 2.0.13; Cygwin was
installed in a directory under C:ŠÜProgram FilesŠÜOctave, while my earlier
Cygwin was somewhere else in C:ŠÜProgram FilesŠÜ. Both Octave (and thus
Cygwin) versions run fine, even simultaneously.

Philip Nienhuis