Re: famous flops...

From: A Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: famous flops...
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 08:20:20 -0500

It's worth noting that MATLAB will also drop the "flops"
variable from their code, due to moving to LAPACK routines
in their code.

At 5:43 PM -0500 5/31/00, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 31-May-2000, on the octave-sources mailing list, Fotis Georgatos
<address@hidden> wrote:

| FYI,
| exactly one year ago, I had to pass a course of Scientific Computing,
| and slightly patched Octave to count Matlab-like flops,
| but never reached ...full combatibility; don't ask me what flops mean.
|
| I passed that course, graduated, and haven't been with much time since.
| So, if someone wants to receive the code to maintain, publish or,
| do something useful with it, please just let me know.

It's fine if someone wants to maintain it, but it is unlikely to ever
be a part of the `official' Octave distributions.

The next major release of Matlab will probably not support flops
either.  It was discussed in comp.soft-sys.matlab.  For example, take
a look at

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=592678096&CONTEXT=959812660.827719751&hitnum=18

I'm copying this to the help-octave mailing list instead of
octave-sources, since help-octave is for discussion and octave-sources
is meant for posting actual source code.

Thanks,

jwe

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect and Computer Eng, Auburn Univ,AL 36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (256) 544-1426
Address until 31 July 2000:Mail Code TD-55, MSFC, Alabama, 35812
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte