quad function problems and parameter passing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: quad function problems and parameter passing
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 10:49:23 -0500 (CDT)

On 20-May-2000, William Peters <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am having trouble using the quad function.  The first time I invoke the
| function it works fine, but afterwards it gives an error.  For example:
|
| octave:1>  quad('sin',0,pi)
| ans = 2
| octave:2>  quad('sin',0,pi)
| error: quad: invalid recursive call
| error: evaluating index expression near line 2, column 2
|
| I am using version 2.0.15.  Is this a bug that has been fixed in later
| versions?

Yes, it is fixed in 2.0.16.

| Another question:  Is there a way to pass additional parameters to funtions
| when using quad or fsolve?

Yes, you can use global variables.

If you want to pass them in the argument list to quad or fsolve, then
you can modify Octave's quad and fsolve functions to allow it to
work.  Someone did this for fsolve (I think) and submitted the patch
some months ago, but it needs some work before I will include it in
the Octave sources I distributed.  Plus, it should be done for the
other functions that accept user-supplied functions as arguments.
Would you like to help with this project?

Thanks,

jwe