Re: octave install on mandrake 7

From: Robin M. Braun
Subject: Re: octave install on mandrake 7
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 09:54:04 +1000

Hi Benjamin

I am interested in your name. I knew a Ben Franks way back when I was growing
up in Cape Town. We have now been living in Sydney, Australia for about 2 years.

As to the problem with octave on Mandrake. I assume that mandrake must have
updated one of their dynamically loaded libraries, which causes the problem
with a binary compiled against another library. Similar to the problem with
a .dll under windows that has the incorrect sysmbol table. (The difference is
that windows crashes in cases like that.) So I reckoned that I would recompile
it myself. Then I'd know that the libraries were correct. The following
happened.

1) I downloaded the lates .tar.gz (version 2.0.16)
2) I untarred it and ran ./configure on it.
3) ./configure was happy and said that the compile would work successfully.
4) It didn't. It bombed out with some missing file messages.
5) I then checked that all the header and development packages were loaded.
(With help from Al Golstein.) They weren't. It seems that mandrake was not
to load libstdc++.
6) All worked fine after that, including octave.
7) Remember to remove config.cache and run ./configure again. Otherwise the
compile process chockes again at the same place. (./configure recreates the
Makefiles, which contain the compiler directives about which libraries to
use.)

I hope this helps,

Rob (Braun)

http://www.eng.uts.edu.au/~robinb/personal