Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Function-pointer - function as argument for functions
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 04:05:42 -0500 (CDT)

On  2-May-2000, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| So, wouldn't it be cool if Octave had argument defaulting a la S? E.g.,
|
|    function [a,b] = spectrogram(x, fs=8000, step=30, window=60)
|       if nargin == 0, usage(spectrogram(x,fs=,step=,window=); endif
|    endfunction
|
|    spectrogram(x, step=25);

This has been discussed a number of times.  I think it would be a nice
feature, but the syntax you mention won't work because in Octave (as
in C) assignments are expressions that produce values, so the step=25
in your function call would be ambiguous.

Something like

  spectrogram (x, step := 25)

would probably work though.

I don't think there is a problem with using plain `=' for the function
definition, but it seems to me that it might as well be consistent
with the syntax that is used for the function call, so I would suggest
using `:=' there too.

jwe