problem running async processes in Emacs buffer.

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: problem running async processes in Emacs buffer.
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:26:39 +0100

Hi,

can someone else try replicating the following?

Start up emacs, then do M-x run-octave.  In the *Inferior Octave*
buffer, type:

  system("pwd", 1, "async")

When I do this, I get:

GNU Octave, version 2.0.16 (alphaev56-dec-osf4.0f). ...
octave> system("pwd", 1, "async")
ans = 19557
octave> /home/stephen/langs/octave/myoctave/vord

Process Inferior Octave finished

i.e. the process finishes.  This is a problem with the Emacs interface
rather than Octave.  (I get the same behaviour with both Emacs 20.6
and XEmacs 21.8)

If you try it, and also find the octave process finishing, let me know
and I'll investigate further.

stephen