usage of error_text

From: etienne grossmann
Subject: usage of error_text
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:40:42 +0100 (WEST)

  Hello,

  I don't manage to use the 'error_text' built-in variable :

octave:100> function foo(), error("this function is broken");end

octave:101> foo

error: this function is broken
error: called from `foo'

octave:101> try foo();catch error_text end; error_text
error_text =
error_text =

octave:102> help error_text
error_text is a built-in constant

the text of error messages that would have been printed in the
body of the most recent unwind_protect statement or the TRY part of
the most recent eval() command.  Outside of unwind_protect and
eval(), or if no error has ocurred within them, the value of
__error_text__ is guaranteed to be the empty string.

  Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

  Cheers,

  Etienne

ps : octave 2.1.19