Re: Install problems on Win95

From: Louis Luangkesorn
Subject: Re: Install problems on Win95
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:19:26 -0600

I don't remember how I unpacked less.  Here is one thing you can try.

When you unpack less into the directory (I think your's is
C:/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32), in WinZip when you Extract, look for a
checkbox titled 'Use folder names'.  This will place all the files in
the correct directory.

This is where they end up (PATH = C:/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32)
/PATH/bin/less.exe
/PATH/bin/lessecho.exe
/PATH/bin/lesskey.exe
/PATH/man/man1/less.1
/PATH/man/man1/lesskey.1

you probably have to create the /PATH/man/man1 directory beforehand.

Word of warning, there may be a problem later, with Octave looking for
either cygwin1.dll or cygwinb19.dll.  I forgot which one is actually
there, but you need to copy the other one (i.e. if Octave looks for
cygwin1.dll, copy it from cygwinb19.dll and vice versa)  I forgot what I
actually did so we need to write a bug report for this one.

Louis

C:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\H-i586-cygwin32\bin

Dorel Pica wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I need some help to install Octave. I'm using a  WINDOWS 95/98
platform.

> > Up to now I downloaded and installed Cygnus gnu-win32 tools beta 19
> > release-full development kit (cdk.exe). Installation was
successfully onto
> > C:/Cygnus/B10
> > I've created directories /etc , /bin and /tmp onto C:/Cygnus/B19/..
> > including files sh.exe onto /bin from
C:/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/bin and a copy of
> > termcap file from C:/Cygnus/B19/H-i386-cygwin32/etc.
> > I've already added c:\Cygnus\b19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin to my $PATH...
> > I downloaded les-gnu-cygwin32.tar.gz and I copied it at
C:/Cygnus/B19/ ,

> > but my problem occurs here....
> > As a result of the command: bash.exe-2.01$ tar zxf
> > /Cygnus/B19/less-gnu-win32.tar.gz  I've got this message:
> > tar (child): Cannot open archive /Cygnus/B19/less-gnu-win32.tar.gz:
No
> > such file or directory
> > tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > tar: child returned status 2
> > tar: Error exit delayed from the previous errors
> >
> > After it I was trying bash.exe-2.01$
C:/Cygnus/B19/less-gnu-win32.tar.gz

--
K Louis Luangkesorn