Taguchi Method

From: David DS Barnes
Subject: Taguchi Method
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:54:39 +0100

Hi,

I have recently begun working with octave,
and wondered if anybody has developed a function for creating
the "orthogonal array" that is used in the Taguchi Method?

if it helps (and I am not insulting),
the Taguchi Method involves:
        a)      deciding on C parameters which drive some performance
        b)      deciding on B levels for each parameter
        c)      a vector of performance tests of size A

the "orthogonal array" determines A ...
and this is the function I am looking for.

I include two examples given to me below:

=====================================
B = 2, C = 7 (A = 8)

A       |                   C                   |       result
        |       a   b   c   d   e   f   g       |
--------|---------------------------------------|--------------
1       |       1   1   1   1   1   1   1       |       y1
2       |       1   1   1   2   2   2   2       |       y2
3       |       1   2   2   1   1   2   2       |       y3
4       |       1   2   2   2   2   1   1       |       y4
5       |       2   1   2   1   2   1   2       |       y5
6       |       2   1   2   2   1   2   1       |       y6
7       |       2   2   1   1   2   2   1       |       y7
8       |       2   2   1   2   1   1   2       |       y8

=====================================
B = 3, C = 4 (A = 9)

A       |             C                 |       result
        |       a   b   c   d           |
--------|-------------------------------|--------------
1       |       1   1   1   1           |       y1
2       |       1   2   2   2           |       y2
3       |       1   3   3   3           |       y3
4       |       2   1   2   3           |       y4
5       |       2   2   3   1           |       y5
6       |       2   3   1   2           |       y6
7       |       3   1   3   2           |       y7
8       |       3   2   1   3           |       y8
9       |       3   3   2   1           |       y9

I hope I have not abused the system :)

David
--
David DS Barnes
        mechanical eng,imperial college         |       t:0171 594 7181