Re: Non-linear ecuation... -Reply

From: Michael Hanke
Subject: Re: Non-linear ecuation... -Reply
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:46:04 +0100

Hi,

The explanations below were not very satisfactory for me. So I played a little
bit with the example. If I did not make any mistake, I got the following
solutions starting with the initial guess identical to one:

l2 =

    0.1696
    0.8485
    1.5093
    0.3211
    5.8123
    8.6608
    0.1994
   25.0683
    0.7635

They seem to be a solution. I was using a straighforward damped Newton method
and a rathet sophisticated affine invariant Newton method. They needed 8 and 7
Newton steps, respectively, for solving this system.

To be honest, an implementation of a trust-region method and the back-tracking
line search along NR did not converge.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Gerrit Visser wrote on Fre, 24 Mär 2000:
> I've played around with the equations, and I can see why octave can't
> solve it. Some of the variables have a very large influence on the
> equations. At a guess, some of the gradients must be in the 10^9 region
> or higher. To see what I mean, set up a "cost" function which has the

> Cederik skryf:
> >
> > I have the next set of nine non-linear ecuations:
> >
> > ln(a)-ln(f)+i+4g+(19720/8314)=0
> > ln(b)-ln(f)+2g+h-(192420/8314)=0
> > ln(c)-ln(f)+h+i-(200240/8314)=0
> > ln(d)-ln(f)+2h+i-(395790/8314)=0
> > ln(e)-ln(f)+2g=0
> > a+c+d-2=0
> > 4a+2b+2e-14=0
> > b+c+2d-3=0
> > a+b+c+d+e-f=0
> >
> > Where:
> > x[1]=a
> > x[2]=b
> > x[3]=c
> > x[4]=d
> > x[5]=e
> > x[6]=f
> > x[7]=g
> > x[8]=h
> > x[9]=i
> >
> > Octave can't solve it... (non-convergent), but in fact i know that set of
> > ecuations has solution. Because is a Book example.
> > Octave can solve it if i put the initial x's [a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i] as the
> > exactly solutions. But that way isn't usefull for me...
> > Any sugestions?

|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       address@hidden               |
|                               address@hidden       |