Re: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:19:43 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> Daniel Heiserer wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I cannot allocate the memory I want:
> > (I already had a similar problem before)
> >
> > octave:73> 12350000*8/1e6
> > ans = 98.8000000000000
> > octave:74> 100*1e6/8
> > ans = 12500000
> > octave:75> clear;a=zeros(1.24E7,1);
> > error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt
> >
> > octave:75> clear;a=zeros(1.235E7,1);
> > octave:76> version
> > ans = 2.0.14
> > octave:77>
> >
> > For me it looks like that octave cannot allocte
> > more memory then 100MB. (?)
> > Can anybody check this on other machines?
> > My machine is a:
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Processor 15: 250 MHZ IP27
> > Main memory size: 16384 Mbytes
> > Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
> > Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
> > IRIX64 6.5  IP27
> > ---------------------------------------
>
> I have a machine very similar to yours and I do not see the problem
> 2 180 MHZ IP27 Processors
> CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.6
> FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
> Main memory size: 128 Mbytes
> Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
> Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
> IRIX64 6.5.2f IP27
>
> Just to test if there was a memory leak I did 'clear;a=zeros(1.24E7,1);'
> a few(4) times.  It was fine.  Notice that I also have much less memory
> than you do!  I do not know what could be causing your problem.

That is really strange. I ran the stuff on some other
machines (smaller ones, like yours) and I can't see this problem
also. So I think it is not a problem of the binary, but something
with the machine, which is also strange because
all other applications we have run without any problems
there. (e.g. matlab with the same commands)

It is just no oviously what is wrong.
Wihtin matlab I allocated tons of memory (14GB) just to see
if it is a problem of the machine, but it didn't appear like this.
I just have no idea what's going on.

Daniel