Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: compile on Cray/ nonGNUcompiler
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:12:34 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> On 31-Jan-2000, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | did ever anybody successfully compile
> | octave on a Cray-SV1?
> |
> | Or did ever anybody compile octave on SGI without the
> | gnu-C Compiler?
> |
> | Or has anybody that much insight into the code,
> | that he (or she?) knows how big the effort is to change
> | the octave code to be compileable with ANY
> | ANSI C++ Compiler?
>
> It would require some work to accomodate compilers that are strict
> about namespaces.
>
> There are also some features of the GNU iostream implementation that
> are used (the scan member function for istreams comes to mind).
>
> I don't think these are impossible (or even terribly difficult)
> problems to solve, but I've never needed to solve them, and so far, no
> one has posted bug reports about them, so I guess it is not much of a
> concern for most Octave users.
>
> One way to help make Octave work with compilers other than g++, is to
> try compiling it with another compiler and then report problems as you
> find them.

That would be easy for me. I can run it thru tons of other compilers.
If there is somebody who can fix it AND wants to fix it in the way
that octave is 100% ANSI C++ (what I think is not the worst idea.)
I will do that. But I have no clue what to do with tons of compilation
messages ....... except posting them .......

I assume the following:
-       gnuplot ist not needed. octave can run without any plotting tool.
-       gnu-make is needed.
-       C,C++,f77 compilers are necessary.

Is that right, or are there any other major things?

> Thanks,
>
> jwe

I have to say thanks

Daniel