Re: Suggestion: add do-enddo(condition)

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: Suggestion: add do-enddo(condition)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:59:40 -0600

> on 1/27/00 4:33 AM, Thomas Walter at address@hidden wrote:

>>>>>> "John" == John W Eaton <address@hidden> writes:
simpler to write loops for fitting and similar things.

> John> I don't recall seeing any responses to this message, so maybe there
> John> are not very many people who have strong feelings about it one way or
> John> the other.  Is anyone else interested in having this construct
> John> available in Octave?
>
> I have not seen a reply too.  But having both kinds of loops can make
> the code much cleaner in some cases.  And the lack of any reply may
> depend on other tools like the always referenced 'matlab' not having
> this.  I do not know this package, only 'pari/gp' which comes with GPL
> (ftp://megrez.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari) , and the comercial
> package 'mupad'.

I think I just missed the original post.  I've been implementing

    do
        x = blah()
    enddo (condition)

with

    x = blah()
    while(condition)
        x = blah()
    endwhile

all the while wishing there were an easier way to do it.  Writing blah() as
a function call reduces the code duplication, but isn't quite the same.

"If you build it, they will come."

Or something like that.

--
A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect and Computer Eng, Auburn Univ,AL
36849-5201