Winzip chokes (was: Re: Trouble Downloading )

From: David Doolin
Subject: Winzip chokes (was: Re: Trouble Downloading )
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:29:58 -0500

In message <address@hidden>, Richard Davis writes:
>> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>
>--MS_Mac_OE_3030631433_199293_MIME_Part
>
>I have twice downloaded the "octave-latest_tar.tar" file from the site
>specified, but WinZip won't open the file.  I get an error message: "error
>processing directory after 0 entries" followed by another: "invalid archive
>file".  Haven't done anything else to follow-up... but should I be using
>some other de-archiving program?

You have several options.  The easiest is to rename the file
that you downloaded to "foo.tar.gz" (foo is whatever the root
filw name is).  Then winunzip it.  It may inform you about
"obsolete compression format" or some such nonsense, which you
may safely ignore.

I am not sure you would understand the other options, and I
don't have time to explain them in detail (it could take quite
a bit of detail), but you may try ftp directly instead http.

Warning: octave is Free Software.  Among other things, this
means that you Know What You Are Doing, in the unix sense
of the words.

Also, as you can see, at least some of us us text-based
mail clients, which do not render html (They don't render
mime types such as wp docs, images, or virues either).

Good luck.