Matrices and "type tags"

From: Thomas Hoffmann
Subject: Matrices and "type tags"
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:08:19 +0100 (MET)

In the recent talk about a "backsub" function the idea of automatically
recognizing
tridiagonal matrices surfaced.

If a matrix has not a special type "tridiagonal", then it has to have a "tag",
which says
that the matrix has this property (RLaB uses such "tags", matrices are lists
there) or
one has to check the matrix for this property (which takes a lot of time).

The state-of-the-art in Octave is, that we have complex and real matrix types
recognized
by the system and handled accordingly, but that we have to look for the other
"special"
properties of matrices ourselves (e.g. one can (wrongly) give a non-symmetric
matrix to
chol()).

This means, that if we have no type tags, we should use special functions for
special
cases instead of Octave having to look through the matrices for their
properties.

On the other hand, this takes away some "elegancy" from the code.

Any opinions?

Thomas Hoffmann, Institut fuer Halbleiter- und Mikrosystemtechnik, TU Dresden
E-mail: address@hidden