LU decomposition/backsubstitution

From: Thomas Hoffmann
Subject: LU decomposition/backsubstitution
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:14:03 +0100 (MET)

To solve a linear system A x = b, I use "left division" x=A\b .

But given I have a system with fixed A and several (succesively computed)
b's, I would like to use something like a precomputed decomposition of A which
I can apply my b's to,
to get the solutions for every b with minimal computational effort.

Formerly I used RLab, where I had a function "backsub", which is an internal
function derived from a
LAPACK or LINPACK subroutine.

Is there a similar possibility in Octave?

Thomas.

Thomas Hoffmann, Institut fuer Halbleiter- und Mikrosystemtechnik, TU Dresden
E-mail: address@hidden