Re: Dot product (nx1).*(nxm)

From: Dr Andre Bonfrer
Subject: Re: Dot product (nx1).*(nxm)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:09:04 +1100 (EST)

I am writing a model in Octave adapted from a Gauss program - which
allows the notation v.*P (with v of size nx1, P of size nxm).
It also allows notation such as v+P.

My program runs an order of magnitude slower (5-6times) than the
Gauss program.  (Thanks to the code everyone suggested, it's down
from an order of magnitude of 1000 or so!).  This will get
progressively worse as the complexity of the model increases.
The Gauss software is running on a Pentium III 500Mhz
with WinNT.  Mine is an Octave (2.1.9) on RH 6.1 Linux - 450Mhz PII.  Is the
Pentium III really that much faster?  If I wanted to rewrite the
.* operation (at least) to allow me to do this, where do I start?
Or should I be sending this to bugs-octave?

Every microsecond counts!

Regards
Andre