Passing variables to gnuplot

From: Josep Forest
Subject: Passing variables to gnuplot
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:19:07 +0100

Hello everybody,

I'm using Octave in my thesis, which deals with 3D reconstruction and calibration of range finder systems, so I have to make some simulations and making a lot of 3D representations. Gnuplot is fine for this, but when I try to change the viewpoint (with gset view), I have to pass literal values (e.g. gset view 40,60), but I'm triying to automate the process by incrementing and decrementing variables so I can see how the 3D scene moves interactively.
I've tried making:

anglex=40;anglez=60;
while (1)
key=kbhit();
switch(key)
case ('u')
   anglex--;
case ('d')
  anglez++;
.
.
.
endswitch;
gset view anglex,anglez;
endcase;

But gnuplot returns a message: 'anglex: not defined variable' or something similar.

Does anybody know how can I avoid this, and finally make it work (how can I pass variable value to gnuplot?)

Thanks for all

Josep