Re: linux

From: Pierre Scotney
Subject: Re: linux
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:14:17 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Jonathan M Hill wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Adam Balgach wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >     I was wondering if there is a place where i can find the precompiled
> > octave binaries for linux (RPMs) i know that they are somewhere. thanks.
>
>     One thing I have seen but have not tried is a source RPM, the
> idea is that everything you need to compile an executable is stuffed
> neatly in.  Has anyone tried such a thing?

Executable:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/powertools/6.1/i386/octave-2.0.14-2.i386.rpm

Source:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/powertools/6.1/SRPMS/octave-2.0.14-2.src.rpm

The good thing about SRPMS is that the original source tar-ball(s), any
patches, the package.spec and any other files are bundled into to the
package.src.rpm, the rpm files can then be built after installation of
the SRPM by root with the 'rpm -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/package.spec'
command.  Great fun!

Cheers

Pierre

--
Dr Pierre Scotney
St. Vincent's Institute of Medical Research