Re: Installing Octave on Windows NT

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: Installing Octave on Windows NT
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 15:52:12 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> I am a student of fifth course of chemical engineering in Tarragona, SPAIN. I
> am
> doing an investigation laboratory as a subject of this last course. The aim of
> my project is to create a software tool that allows to get data from de hysys
> simulator (of Hyprotect) to export it to a math program as Octave an then
> create
> ternary diagrams. I have some problems and maybe you can help me.
>
> I need to run Octave under windows NT or windows 95 but I don't know what I
> have
> to do and what I need  to install it, and the other question is if it's
> possible
> to transfer data from excel to octave by a visual basic code.

Excel should be able to write a "matrix" in a plain ascii file with
' ' separators. As long as it contains only numbers you can directly
read
it into octave. If not, you could use perl, which is standard on any
unix/linux system (probably no in your OS), to format the csv output
in an octave readible format.

Hope that helps.

PS: Why do you want to use octave? I thought excel is so cool, that
anything can
be done inside with "visual??"? ;-)

daniel