problem compiling octave on Solaris

From: Mike Miller
Subject: problem compiling octave on Solaris
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:59:44 -0500 (CDT)

I was just trying to run configure with the 2.0.14 sources on a Sun sparc
with Solaris 2.6.  Here's what it didn't like:

checking for c++... no
checking for g++... g++
checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

I had renamed c++ so that configure would find g++.  I don't think there's
anything wrong with g++, but maybe it can't find a library.  Here's what
the configure.log shows:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:603: checking host system type
configure:833: checking for c++
configure:833: checking for g++
configure:865: checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works
configure:881: g++ -o conftest    conftest.C  1>&5
ld: fatal: library -lstdc++: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
configure: failed program was:

#line 876 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

int main(){return(0);}

Any help will be appreciated.  It's probably a very small problem.
Obviously, I'm no expert on this stuff.  If there is a library called
lstdc++, I don't have it.  I do have these:

/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a
/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so

Thanks,

Mike