Re: variables...

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: variables...
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:41:40 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Ok, lets say i define a variable...
>
> f = "3*x^2+4*x+5"
> Octave changes that to f = 3*x^2+4*x+5 and im assumming that f is now a
> string (?)
> how would i go about searching for the positions of "x" in that string? im
> thinking way back to old basic commands like "left()" but i cant find any
> here in octave.  any thoughts? (also how would i display that string...when
> i define f as about and try..

What the hell  do you want to do?
Octave is a matrix package, everything which cannot be done
using matrix-philosophy is poor or not there.
Especially if comes to strings. I would recommend if you want
to work on strings, to integrate perl into octave
and/or vice/versa.

> fprintf("string: "+f+"\n"); i get a ton of errors.

printf("string: +%s+\n",f); # should give no errors

                                 Daniel Heiserer