thoughts on indefinate variables...

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: thoughts on indefinate variables...
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:25:40 -0500 (CDT)

On 15-Sep-1999, Adam Balgach <address@hidden> wrote:

| After little more then a day of attemping to write some programs that will
| sove indefinate derviatives and integrals using strings because octave wont
| support a command like "y=2*x" if x is not defined, i wanted to know if
| anyone was working on a solution to this problem.  I pretty sure that would
| mean a restructuring of octave handles variables, which would be a major
| task.  Is it planned for the next release of octave? would anyone like to
| help me get working on it.  thanks.

For numerical integration, what is wrong with using quad?

  octave> help -i quad

  Functions of One Variable
  =========================

   - Loadable Function: [V, IER, NFUN, ERR] = quad (F, A, B, TOL, SING)
       Integrate a nonlinear function of one variable using Quadpack.
       The first argument is the name of the  function to call to compute
       the value of the integrand.  It must have the form

            y = f (x)

       where Y and X are scalars.

       The second and third arguments are limits of integration.  Either
       or both may be infinite.

If you want symbolic integration and differentiation, then Octave is
probably not the right package for you (at least not until someone
writes an interface to something like maxima).

jwe