terminal question...

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: terminal question...
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:07:51 -0500 (CDT)

On 13-Sep-1999, Adam Balgach <address@hidden> wrote:

| Im running octave with the help of cygwin in winNT
| and when i try something like
|
| u=[0:.1:10];
| and then try to display it by typing in:
| WARNING: termain is not fully functional
| -  (press RETURN)
|
| and then i hit return, and it displays a bunch of columns
| and then there is
|
| -- less -- (f)orward, (b)ack, (q)uit
|
| so i ask you, what is wrong with my terminal ? why do i get that initional
| error?

The notes for installing Octave on Windows systems includes the tip

   * Setting the environment variable TERM to linux will allow less
     to work from within Octave.

Put

  export TERM="linux"

in your .bashrc file if you are running Octave from bash.  I believe
that setting the TERM environment variable in your autoexec.bat file
(or equivalent) will also work, but I don't have a way to test it.

jwe