Re: Function calls (Was: Save a plot to .ps)

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: Function calls (Was: Save a plot to .ps)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 18:23:41 -0400

[Definitive answer on parsing from jwe, who wrote the octave parser.]

>I am quickly losing interest in the compatibility game.  As I see it,
>it is a losing proposition.  Complete compatibility has never been a
>goal of mine, and there are more interesting things that I can do with
>my time.

Compatibility has been very useful for me.  It has allowed me to
actually *use* octave instead of matlab (long story).

>If you think Octave should support some stupid Matlab feature in the
>name of compatibility, then implement it yourself, or hire someone to

This is an outstanding suggestion, and more octave users
(including myself) should consider contributing code.

>implement it.  If you want absolute compatibility (i.e., Matlab) then
>you know where to find it.  If you use Octave only because you think
>of it as a `Matlab clone' that you can get `for free', then I think
>you are missing the whole point of free software like Octave, so why
>should I care what you want?

The point of `free software' is contentious at best.  And matlab,
in all its gruesome, buggy glory is the metric by which octave will
_forever_ be judged.  This is a direct result of *choosing* to use
matlab syntax.

John, at some point, some of us may one day be in a position
to throw a bit of money at octave, or other free software
projects.  This puts us in the role of `customer', in a sense.
Some of us (not me), may be in that position now.  Some of us
may end up in the position of reviewing NSF or other agency's
grant proposals.  Also, perhaps more importantly, if you want
some serious coders to contribute, flies are best caught with
honey, not vinegar.

So you should care.  You should care a lot.  Doesn't mean you
have implement *anything* anyone wants.  But it might mean you
could be encouraging to people that are taking the time to
unravel octave's and matlab's behavior.  Instead of being curt.

John, you may be a helluva coder, but your sales skills are on the
level of the average bsd weenie that hangs out in #unix with a
keyboard alias to +kb.  ;)

Anyway good luck.   If my opinion counted, which I know it
certainly does not, matlab compatibility should be all or
nothing.  Half-assing it hurts more than helps.

With all due respect,

Dave Doolin

address@hidden
address@hidden