Re: sparse stuff found

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: sparse stuff found
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 15:43:41 -0400

In message <address@hidden>, A+A
 Adler writes:
>Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Are there any volunteers out there for helping to implement
>> this package? I am on a very tight time-budget right now.
>
>Before you try to implement another sparse package, take a look at
>the octave sparse package I put together.
>
>I announced it in octave-sources on 24 nov 98.
>
>You can download the package from
>http://www.mondenet.com/~adler/octave/spfun/
>
>It it based on the SuperLU sparse package, available
>from netlib, which has a BSD type copyright.

SuperLU should have a pretty bright future, and might be the
best solution for octave sparse.  Given that one of the
principals (Prof. Demmel) is relatively young, I expect
development of SuperLU to continue for quite a while.

>The code currently supports only basic linear algebra
>and solves on sparse matrices. The syntax is also still little
>clumsy. It goes at a little slower to twice as fast as MATLAB
>
>The package currenly meets my needs.  I had been planning to do more
>work on the sparse package, but my lack of time, combined with the lack
>of interest from this mailing list, has discouraged me from
>putting in more work, in the short term.

I am interested!  Just very little time!

>As I said, however, take a look. I'll probably get some time
>to work on it in the next few months, so any suggestions would
>be appreciated.

I will try and build it, if successful, I will try and use it.
If successful at that, I will surely submit bug reports.
Lack of spdiags in octave has me sitting in front of MS best
effort as we speak.  Not a happy place to be.

Thanks for your effort,

Dave Doolin