"unable to open pipe" problem

From: Pulley Joe Wade DR NUWCDIVNPT
Subject: "unable to open pipe" problem
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:51:42 -0500

Hi,
        I am running Octave 2.0.13 on an HP9000/750 machine running HPUX
10.2.  For the most part things seem to work fine, except when I do things
that take LOTS of memory.  The calculations that use lots of RAM seem to
work fine, but leave the system in a state so that if I try to do anything
that opens a pipe out of octave, for example a plot or even an ls, the
command fails.  The resulting message is something like "unable to open pipe
for xxx" where xxx is the command.
        Any ideas on what may be the cause?  I am not getting errors about
exhausting the memory or anything else.  Thanks
Wade

Dr. Joe Wade Pulley
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport
1176 Howell Street, Building 1320, Code 3113
Newport, RI 02841
(401)-832-8690 or 1-800-669-6892 Ext. 28690