Using gnuplot with in a Linux console

From: Jose L. Gomez Dans
Subject: Using gnuplot with in a Linux console
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:05:13 +0000

Hi!
   Lately, and due to a lack of luck to configure a graphics card with X
(and being bored with Windows systems of any kind), I started working with
Octave on the console. I need to plot some graphs, and I downloaded gnuplot
3.7, and compiled it with Linux S/VGA support. The problem is that if I try
plotting graphs, I get file permission problems. Starting gnuplot as a
humble user:
[snip]
Terminal type set to 'unknown'
gnuplot> set terminal linux
Terminal type set to 'linux'
         Linux terminal driver not available
gnuplot> plot(sin(x))
svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

    And the program exits. If I do a sudo gnuplot, this is what I get:
    Terminal type set to 'linux'
    gnuplot> set terminal linux
    Terminal type set to 'linux'
    G1024x768x256
    gnuplot> plot(sin(x))

   And now  I get a nice plot on my screen. I assume the problem is that I
have messing around with the svgalib not allowed to normal users. Is there a
way to change this, and to allow me to plot graphs from my user account
directly?

   Also, and since I'm at it X-) could I possibly ask if it's possible to
use the plplot routines from the console? I don't think it is, but it's
worth asking for :)))

  TIA
  Jose
--
Jose L Gomez Dans                       PhD student
                                        Radar & Communications Group