Problems installing under Windows 95

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problems installing under Windows 95
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:36:33 -0600 (CST)

On 27-Jan-1999, Dave Borger <address@hidden> wrote:

| I have been having some problems installing the Octave binaries to the
| D: drive on my Windows 95 system.  I have installed the Cygnus usertools
| on the D: drive and have their location verifiably on my path.
|
| When I execute
|
|         sh ./install-octave d:/octave
|
| After listing the directories the installer plans to use (and answering
| 'y' to the prompt), I get the message
|
|         ./mkinstalldirs: cannot open file "./mkinstalldirs"

Do you have a copy of bash installed as /bin/sh?

If you want to install Octave on a drive other than C:, I think you
should probably mount the other drive as a subdirectory of C:.
Something like

  mkdir /d_drive
  mount d: /d_drive

at the bash prompt should work, I think.

| FIND: Parameter format not correct

I think the find command fails because the Cygwin user tools did not
include find with the other tools, so the install script is finding
the DOS find command, which doesn't work like the Unix find.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Cygwin installed now, so I can't give
you a copy of the right find.exe.  Perhaps someone else can help?

jwe