install problems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: install problems
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:56:39 -0600 (CST)

On 14-Jan-1999, Bryan May <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm having a bit of trouble getting octave going here, I could really use
| some help.
|
| I just picked up octave-2.0.11-1a.src.rpm for mklinux.  I called rpm
| --rebuild and which produced directory tree in /tmp/octave-root. At first
| I thought that I needed to move everything over into /usr/local and put
| everything in their respective folders, so I did that. Unfortunately, when
| I ran octave, it couldn't find the .so files and so it wouldn't run. I
| found that the /usr/local/lib wasn't in ld.so.conf, so I added it and ran
| /sbin/ldconfig.  Now when I ran octave, it would start and I could do
| basic commands in octave, but "help -i" gave me an error that /usr/<blah
| blah blah> wasn't found.  I read though the documentation and found out
| about the OCTAVE_HOME variable.  When octave was running, OCTAVE_HOME
| returned /usr. But it should have been /tmp/octave-root/usr/ or /usr/local
| like the documenation says.  So, I read on.  I set the OCTAVE_HOME
| variable in my environment, and started up octave.  Now, octave starts,
| but the prompt never comes up, it just runs in some kind of loop which
| eventually sucked up all my swap space.
|
| Anybody have any ideas?  I'm not sure where to go from here.  If anyone
| has some good notes about installation using a src.rpm, I would love to
| read them.  Thanks ahead of time for any help that you can give.

I don't have any clues about the RPM file because I don't use or make
them and have never used mklinux.

Why not get the current sources from the Octave ftp site
(ftp.che.wisc.edu)?  You can also get them via the web at
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave.

If there are changes in the RPM file for mklinux that are not in the
current Octave sources, it would be nice if whoever made the changes
would submit them to address@hidden

Thanks,

jwe