Re: REQUEST: change in replay history

From: J Sigbrandt
Subject: Re: REQUEST: change in replay history
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:57:01 +0000

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 04:09:28PM +0200, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> I have just been trying to find the previous command
> after a long debugging session in which every command
> was 'return'.  After sixty or so 'return' replays,
> I gave up.  I couldn't suppress the treacherous thought
> that Matlab 3.5, which I still use on my slow machine
> at home, does not add a command to the replay history
> if it is identical to the previous one.
>
> Would it require more than a simple string comparison
> to make Octave behave like that too?
>
> Dirk

Put this in your ~/.inputrc for the behaviour you want:

"\M-[A":        history-search-backward
"\M-[B":        history-search-forward
Control-p:      history-search-backward
Control-n:      history-search-forward

Regards,
jay

ps: on Debian 2.0 this can be found in the bash info file
    (go to the Commands for History node)

pps: I find that tkinfo makes info bearable :)