newbie questions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: newbie questions
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:31:01 -0600 (CST)

On 21-Nov-1998, Michel Jullian <address@hidden> wrote:

| 1) Is there any chance that an automatic installer for Win* is going to be
| released in a few days (one can dream, can't one ? :)

I don't think it is very likely.  I know that I'm not working on
anything like that.

I do agree that Octave does not work as well as it could on Windows
NT/95 systems and that the installation process is not trivial.  There
are several possibilities for improving the situation.  Someone could
step forward and volunteer to maintain the Windows NT/95 port of
Octave, or someone could provide funding for me to do the work (I am
not a Windows NT/95 expert, nor do I have the desire to become one
just for fun).

| 2) Is there really *no* version of Octave for MacOS, my preferred platform ?

The answer to this question is similar to the answer to the first.  I
could help merge changes for a MacOS port if someone else does the
work and is willing and capable of making a clean set of changes.  But
I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it myself unless someone is
willing to provide funding specifically for the project.

Thanks,

jwe