Re: Octave within perl?

From: Daniel Heiserer
Subject: Re: Octave within perl?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:00:08 +0100

Colin Telmer wrote:

> I am currently using perl to post-process some output from a financial
> application. Up until this point I have been able to make due with the
> simple mathematical functionality of perl, but I now want to go beyond
> this to compute some more complicated statitics. I realize pdl and friends
> exist, but I would prefer to use octave as I already use it in another
> part of this project, and moreover, I am quite comfortable and happy with
> it:) Anyway, what I would optimally like to do is to:
> 1) open an octave session from within perl (possibly passing some startup
> information) and leave it running to accept further commands.
> 2) pass commands to the octave session sequentially from perl.
>
> I could add much more to this list, but I thought I would begin simply to
> see if this is possinble within the limited time I have to do this. My
> other simpler idea is just to have a shell script call perl to produce
> some flat files to be read into octave. However, the first way seems much
> more flexible, and it seems very similar to how emacs runs inferior-octave
> sessions.
>
> Any help is gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

i also want to link perl and octave.
It was done for matlab and perl using swig:

http://www.swig.org/

Look somewhere for the examples there or look at another mail
I posted a view time ago, where I specified a special link
for that.

Up to now I haven't done anything linking that stuff together.

Anyway, if you don't want to use octave and have only more
math inside of perl there should be also some math-perl moduls.
Look at the perl-oasis for that.

It would be perfect using octave as a perl-module or/and
vice/versa.

Because we have the source of octave it shouldn't be too complicated
and could be a real big benefit.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
                                 Daniel Heiserer