Re: etags for mfiles?

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: etags for mfiles?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:03:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi, I am the maintainer of etags.

John Eaton wrote:
   I don't think it's off topic.  Unfortunately, I also don't know of
   anyone who has modified etags/ctags/?tags to parse Octave .m files.
   If anyone is interested in working on a project like this (or has
   already done so) please let me know as I think it would be a useful
   addition for Octave and Emacs.

I think that adding native support to etags for octave files is overkill,
as the code posted by Mario Storti is good for the job.

What I said above may not be true for two reasons:
1) if the "function" keyword and the function name are on different lines,
   the tag cannot be generated with the current etags regexp mechanism;
2) if many of you think that it would be useful for etags to know about .m
   files by default.

I'd like to receive comments about  the second point, and reports of people
using the style described in the  first point when they write .m files.

If I  am convinced, I  will schedule inclusion  of support for .m  files in
etags (don't hold your breath) and will accept code that implements that or
write  it myself.   Otherwise,  I'll  include Mario  Storti's  code in  the
examples section of the etags  manual that comes with Emacs.  Probably none
of these will happen for emacs 20.4, but one of them will for 20.5.