Re: Greetings to the list and first question.

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: Greetings to the list and first question.
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:21:09 -0500

>Hello.
>In first place, I introduce myself. My name is Juan Carlos and this is
>my first message in the list.
>I have just started using Octave, and I would like to learn a little
>more. I would like Octave to be a tool for my studies (Electronics). But
>in the university the computers have got MatLab installed.
>I have heard that Octave is very seemed to MatLab. I don't know that.
>What I know is the difference in money, and this fact drives me to use
>Octave ;-)
>
>So I make my first question:
>I have heard about the toolboxes. In MatLab for example I have the
>'cloop' function'. I really need to use that function.
>¿Is this function going to be in Octave?
>
>Till soon:
>Juan Carlos
>
>pd.- and, please, excuse my poor English ;-)

Octave is about 95%  compatible with Matlab, which means that it's not
practical to write (relevant) m-files that work with both packages.
Toolbox development is separate between the two packages;  I wrote the
initial form of the Octave Control Systems Toolbox
    ftp://ftp.eng.auburn.edu/pub/hodel/OCST-ss-xxxxxx.tar.gz
to be superior in ease of use and capability to the Matlab toolbox that
was available at the time (1995-1996).  I'm still working on it (expanding
it as my needs direct), and Prof. Mueller from Germany has kindly helped
a great deal as well.

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (205) 544-1426