Re: Recommend tela

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: Recommend tela
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 10:46:24 -0500

----------
>From: address@hidden
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Recommend tela
>Date: Tue, Sep 8, 1998, 6:41 PM
>

>Hi, guys:
>
>Octave is a good matlab clone. But I would to recommend to try tela out too.
>
>First tela is from  http://www.geo.fmi.fi/prog/tela.html.
>
>Second three main pluses I think tela is worthing a try:
>   multidimensional array up to 8
>        .ct file interfacing with existing C/C++/Fortran programs very easily
>        more efficient than matlab or octave, usually take less than half time
>for a same operation than matlab, octave

There are, in fact, several packages that some would label as
"Matlab Clones" (although none, including tela and octave, are truly
Matlab compatible).  Another package I've seen discussed is
SciLab, developed at INRIA in France.  One reason I'll be staying
with Octave is about 16,000 lines of octave m-files I've written
for the Octave controls toolbox.  I've occasionally considered
moving to another package (scilab being the prime contender), but
I'm finding the workload better if I improve Octave's packages
instead.

I think the ease of generation of C++ code integration into Octave's
.oct files would be improved with a bit of documentation of the octave
class structure; however, in lieu of that, (time, financial support are
always an issue) several examples are contained in both the Octave
source (src/DLD-FUNCTIONS in the bleeding-edge releases) and in the OCST.

A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect Eng, Auburn Univ,AL  36849-5201
On leave at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (205) 544-1426